Ordering & Licensing FAQ
1. What are the differences between the editions you offer?
PostSharp offers 6 distinct editions with different set of features. Those are: PostSharp Ultimate, PostSharp Framework, PostSharp MVVM, PostSharp Caching, PostSharp Logging and PostSharp Community (free edition).
Click here to discover which PostSharp edition is right for you.
2. What types of subscriptions you offer?
You can choose between Per-Developer, Per-Developer Lite, Per-User and Per-Company (available only for PostSharp Logging) subscription options. Each subscription type has a different licensing principle. To compare them click here.
3. What is the difference between Per-Usage and Per-Developer licensing?
Per-Usage licensing means that you are purchasing one subscription which can be shared by many repositories. The price depends on the number of Source Lines Of Code (SLOC) to which you apply PostSharp. So you can get started by adding PostSharp to a large team and project without high initial investment.
You can have unlimited number of developers working with the license, as long as the size of the code to which you apply PostSharp does not exceed the number of KSLOC you purchased. If that happens, you can purchase additional number of KSLOC at anytime.
Check below to find out how many KSLOC you should buy.
Per-Developer licensing means that the subscription is bought for one or more users. There are no limits to the number of KSLOC.
4. What is the difference between Per-Developer Standard and Per-Developer Lite licensing?
|LITE SUBSCRIPTION||STANDARD SUBSCRIPTION|
|Includes Perpetual License||No||Yes|
|Includes 1 Year of Support||Yes||Yes|
|Price Level, 1st year||70%||100%|
|Price Level, next years||70%||60% - 70% - 85%|
|Early Bird renewal discounts||No||Yes|
|Switch to Perpetual Plus Subscription||Yes
(remaining value of your subscription discounted)
5. What is KSLOC?
KSLOC is equal to 1000 logical lines of code of all types that have at least one aspect. See the documentation for details.
6. Which type of licensing is the best for my team?
- There are a lot of developers on your team but you want to start using PostSharp on a small project or component.
- Your team wants to build a component using PostSharp that other people will use, and you don’t want them to have a PostSharp license.
- You want to start small as you cannot estimate how big your project will become. You can increase your subscription size as you need.
- You are not sure how many developers in the team will be using PostSharp.
- You are just starting with PostSharp and you don’t want to have big commitment until you test it works for you.
- You have fixed or predictable number of developers who are going to build code enhanced by PostSharp.
- Your company has strong privacy and security requirements and cloud-based licensing is not acceptable for you.
- Your company is simply more comfortable with a traditional per-developer licensing model.
7. I want to buy Per-Usage subscription, how many KSLOC should I buy?
See documentation to find how to estimate the volume for your project.
8. I want to buy Per-Developer subscription, how do I know how many seats I need?
Everybody who builds code that has aspects needs a license. If the 100 developers build the code that uses the aspects created by the 5 senior developers, you will need 100 licenses.
9. I have 100 developers but only 5 of them will be creating custom aspects. How many Per-Developer licenses should I purchase?
Everybody who modifies and builds code that has aspects needs a license. If the 100 developers modify the code that uses the aspects created by the 5 senior developers, you will need 100 per-developer licenses.
You can also purchase Per-Repo licensing, in which case you can have unlimited number of developers working with the license, as long as the size of the code to which you apply PostSharp does not exceed the number of KSLOC you purchased.
10. I have 100 developers but only 5 of those will create code that uses aspects. The others will build the code but not modify it. How many Per-Developer licenses should I purchase?
Everybody who modifies and builds code that has aspects needs a license. In this case, only 5 developers modify the code that has aspects, so you only need to buy 5 per-developer licenses.
11. Can I use PostSharp Community for commercial products?
Yes. You can build commercial products using PostSharp Community and redistribute them. PostSharp Community contains all the features of PostSharp Ultimate, however, there are some limitations. Check details here.
12. What does Maintenance Subscription include?
Maintenance Subscriptions provide free updates, including bug-fixing and major releases, during the duration of the subscription. Note that bug-fixing releases will not be available without a maintenance subscription. The subscription also includes web-based support.
13. Can I order a multi-year maintenance subscription?
No, that option is no longer available. You can purchase PostSharp subscription for 12 months period.
14. Can I add more users to my existing subscription?
It is possible to add more users or KSLOC to an existing subscription before its expiration date. In that case, the subscription end date will not be changed and the price of adding new user will be discounted from the original price. Contact us to add more users/KSLOC to your existing subscription.
15. How can I get an access to all my subscriptions and license keys?
You can get an overview of all your subscriptions from the customer portal using your secret customer portal link. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org from your corporate email and we will provide you the access. For privacy reasons, we do not send the customer portal link to resellers. Resellers only get access to the subscriptions they purchased themselves.
16. Do we need a license for our build server?
No. Build servers don’t need their own license.
17. Do we need to install a license on our build server?
Normally no. PostSharp will detect that it runs under a build server, and won't enforce licensing. In case that PostSharp fails to detect the build server, you can install any license key on the build server using the utility PostSharp Settings. Learn more about using PostSharp on a build server in the documentation.
18. Do you offer site licensing?
No, we no longer offer site licensing.
19. Do you offer global licensing?
Yes. Please contact us on email@example.com.
20. How does the concurrent-developer licensing model work?
You need a license if you create or modify code using PostSharp. If you only build code that is using PostSharp, you don't need to purchase a license. The key is to determine how many developers are likely to create or modify code using PostSharp and buy enough licenses to cover that number. Commercial Licenses are floating and allow for use on any computer, operating system, and by any developer within a legal entity, provided that the total number of users never exceeds the number of purchased licenses within a 24-hour period. A single user may use maximum 2 different computers during a 24-hour period.
21. Will my PostSharp license expire after the end of the maintenance subscription?
Depends on the type of subscription you purchase. If you purchase Per-Developer Lite subscription, your PostSharp license is not perpetual and it will expire after the end of maintenance subscription.
Per-Developer Standard and Per-Tepo licenses are perpetual. The maintenance subscription only determines which version of the product you are allowed to use. If you are allowed to use a version one day, it will work every day. Actually, the build date of the product release needs to be within the maintenance period. Note that Microsoft is releasing new versions of Visual Studio and .NET Core at a very fast pace, and not having an up-to-date PostSharp license may hinder your ability to use the latest development tools.
22. Our company has several subscriptions of the same product. How can we merge and co-term them?
Merging and/or co-terming several subscriptions is no longer possible. You can either purchase a new subscription for the desired number of developers, and let the old subscriptions expire; or add more users to one subscription, and let the other ones expire.
23. Can I amend or modify the License Agreement?
Some amendments are routinely accepted for orders of a significant size. Other amendments need to be reviewed by our lawyers. Please contact us for more information.
24. How is the concurrent license enforced?
PostSharp periodically uploads usage data to our servers and these are analyzed for license compliance.
25. Is it possible to disable license audit?
Established companies can ask to opt out from license audit. Please contact us for more information.
26. Does your software require a connection to the Internet?
No. PostSharp will work even if fully disconnected from the network. However, license audit requires an internet connection once per week. Contact us if this is not acceptable for your organization and you need license keys without audit.
27. Where can I find the complete text of the License Agreement?
28. My application has a dependency to PostSharp.dll. Do I need a redistribution license?
No. PostSharp licenses allow for royalty-free redistribution of components that need to run on end-user devices. These include PostSharp.dll and runtime libraries. Please contact us if you want to discuss a specific situation.
29. Is it possible to get a PostSharp Community company license for our whole team?
Yes. You can download PostSharp Community for you whole team here. Just choose the number of licensed developers.
Upgrades & Renewals
1. How do I renew my maintenance subscription?
To renew your maintenance subscription, navigate to the Customer Portal. You will need the license key of the subscription you want to renew or your customer account secret link.
2. What if I choose not to renew maintenance subscription?
If you have Per-Developer Standard or Per-Repo subscription, you may continue to use the software as normal but free upgrades, bug fixes and support will no longer be available to you.
If you have Per-Developer Lite subscription, you will not be able to use the software unless you renew the subscription.
3. Can I renew for multiple years of maintenance subscription?
No, that option is no longer available. You can purchase a PostSharp renewal subscription for 12 months period.
4. When I renew, when does the new 1-year subscription period start?
If you renew your subscription before the previous maintenance subscription period ends, the new subscription date will start just after the previous period ends. If you renew a subscription that has already expired, the new 1-year period will start on your order date.
5. Can I add more users to my subscription?
Yes, you can do so by navigating to the Customer Portal. You will need the license key of the subscription you want to renew or your customer account secret link. The end date of your subscription will not be affected if you add new users, but the price will be discounted to reflect the shorter period.
6. Can I upgrade my subscription to PostSharp Ultimate?
Yes, you can upgrade online while your maintenance subscription is active. You can upgrade from any product to PostSharp Ultimate. The new subscription end date will be 1 year from the upgrade purchase.
If you switch to PostSharp Ultimate within 45 days after the initial purchase of your subscription, the initial price will be fully discounted from your new purchase. After 45 days, the discount is a multiple of the remaining days until the end of the current product subscription.
You can upgrade a subscription for the same number of developers as before, or for fewer. If you renew for fewer users, you will lose the right to upgrade for more users in a later order and will need to add more users to the renewed subscription.Navigate to the Customer Portal to make your upgrade. You will need the license key of the subscription you want to renew or your customer account secret link.
1. How are license keys delivered?
The software is delivered electronically. An email with your license key will be sent to you shortly after the purchase.
2. What payment methods do you accept?
The following payment methods are available for online orders: Credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard, DinersClub, American Express, JCB, PostePay, Discover(Novus) and Carte Bleue); Bank transfer (Wire/ACH transfer); Paypal; Alipay; Directebanking.com (sofortueberweisung.de); Check; FAX payment; Purchase order; TrialPay; GiroPay; Ideal; Solo; Direct Debit; WebMoney.
The following payment methods are available for online orders: Credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard, DinersClub, American Express, JCB, PostePay, Discover(Novus)
For offline orders, payments via wire transfer, PayPal (and all credit cards accepted by PayPal) or certified check are possible.
3. I cannot or don't want to buy through 2Checkout. What are the other possibilities?
You can contact us directly. The purchase process is as follows:
- You send us a quote request.
- We reply with a quote.
- You accept the quote and send us a purchase order.
- We reply with a payment request (pro-forma invoice).
- You pay via wire transfer, certified check or PayPal.
- After receipt of the payment, we send you the license key and a final invoice.
1. Do you offer volume discounts?
Yes. Learn more about our volume pricing here.
2. Do you provide discounts for students/teachers?
Yes. We offer free PostSharp Ultimate Academic licenses to students and teachers at accredited schools and training facilities. Apply Now.
3. Do you provide discounts for schools/training companies?
We offer free classroom licenses to accredited educational facilities including community colleges, universities, and training companies for teaching in the classroom by professors, trainers, and students. Contact us.
4. Do you provide discounts for MVPs and influencers?
Yes. We offer free PostSharp licenses to Microsoft MVPs, popular bloggers, user group leaders, and authors. Apply Now.
5. Do you provide discounts for freelancers?
Yes. We offer free licenses to qualified freelancers. Apply Now.
6. Do you provide discounts for startups?
Yes. We offer a one-time 1,000 USD discount on PostSharp to companies enrolled in the Microsoft for Startups program. Contact us.
7. Do you provide discounts for open-source projects?
We allow selected open-source projects to use and redistribute PostSharp for free, even Pro Edition features. Developers using the project will not be required to register or acquire a license as long as they use PostSharp in conjunction with the project. Contact us.
8. Do you provide discounts for non-profit organizations?
An additional discount may be offered for qualified non-profit organizations. Contact us for more details.